2021. The Great Unknown Question…Can the Burner Culture survive a second year of going online, with no seminal, ritual event in-person? This is the week to find out! It is officially Burn Week, and Evan and Stever recommend everyone who reads and listens to this to jump online into one of six virtual worlds available to you. It’s never been easier to get a taste of the Burn if you’ve always been curious! But will any virtual world be enough to keep the Culture-at-large going two years in a row? There are a few people who are still making their way out to the Black Rock Desert this year, but it’s not an officially sanctioned event, and won’t have the same support and infrastructure as the “official” event. So what does this mean for Burner Culture? What’s it all about to have a physical place and time to go to create something together? And how might art projects be impacted by this? What does it mean to bring Art to an online venue vs a real-world venue?
Lastly, let us know if you’ll be checking out any of the worlds, and perhaps we’ll see you there!
Recorded: 22 Aug 2021
References & Resources:
- How To Access the Virtual Burn – This is a quick guide from the Burning Man Kindling platform
- More Info on the Virtual Worlds – This is Burning Man’s Kindling platform summary on the different worlds.
- JUST LET ME PICK A WORLD ALREADY – The starting virtual “Booth” to just get going. You will have to take 2 minutes to ‘register’ and get ‘tickets’: most are free but donations are encouraged!
- “Burning Man: Art on Fire” Documentary about professional and new artists creating and bringing their art to the Playa
- VICE Article on “What is Burning Man without Burning Man?” – apparently we’re not the only one’s considering this question. Who would have thought it’s not just according to us!
- Visit Census Camp! (this is a direct lin…uh err ‘secret portal’ straight to Census Camp so you don’t have to take the ungodly 2 minutes to register or anything, but can just start playing in the Build-A-Burn world. But please do check out their camp, and answer their surveys while there!)
Comments? Ideas? Connections? Get in touch!
It’s just according to us disclaimer: We are not a part of the official Burning Man Project 501(c)3 nor Burning Man Organization and so we don’t represent this larger legal structure and institution. The opinions are solely our own as merely two individual participants among a city of 70,000+ and a community of way, way more. You know…it’s just according to us…